Hi! I’m Sam. Here, I am your book signer, order fulfiller, and customer service representative. Elsewhere, I’m an author, comedian, doodler, and global justice activist.
Some of my websites:
- It’s Pronounced Metrosexual: articles and edugraphics about things like gender, sexuality, and social justice
- Every Shirt is Political: a store where I make shirts, stencils, and prints to bring the protest with you wherever you go
- The Safe Zone Project: a free online resource I co-created with Meg Bolger for LGBTQ+ awareness education and training
- I Heart Singular They: a love poem to a pronoun
- The Sexualitree: a model for comprehensive sex ed, co-created with Karen Rayne
- Facilitating XYZ: facilitator resources, downloads, articles, and videos, co-created with Meg & Kaleigh Cornelison
- Go to HealthyUnderstoodEducatedSafe.com to see the rest of my work and collaborations
Some places to find me:
My bio (3rd-person language time!)
Sam Killermann is a multi-disciplinary artist who puts his gifts to work to achieve global justice as the Director of Creativity for hues. Sam is also the person behind It’s Pronounced Metrosexual, the comedy show performed at colleges and universities, as well as the online resource, which has educated millions of readers on themes of social justice, gender, and sexuality.
Sam’s work (that he uncopyrighted in 2013) has been downloaded by hundreds of millions of people around the world who utilize it to bolster their educational and advocacy efforts toward equity. His version of the Genderbread Person, a model for understanding and teaching gender and sexual diversity, has been translated into over a dozen languages.
In 2014, Sam designed an all-gender restroom sign that he gifted to the commons, which is now being implemented on three continents, was featured in the White House, and is becoming the standard for dozens of communities around the U.S. and world.
Sam is the author of several books, including A Guide to Gender, which is an exploration of gender from a social justice perspective, with humor and comics sprinkled in. The book opened as the #1 bestseller in gender on Amazon, and as a reflection of Sam’s commitment to access as a core social justice value, he’s given away over 20,000 copies of the book. He gave a well-received TEDxTalk that has over 250,000 views called “Understanding the Complexities of Gender,” where he distilled the themes of the book into a few minutes of fun, energetic, and easily-digestible speech.
Sam is the co-creator of TheSafeZoneProject.com, a free online resource for LGBTQ and Ally training materials. The open source curriculum they published is being used by over 17,000 educators in at least 100 countries.
Outside of his key initiatives, Sam is a frequent keynote speaker, makes political shirts for EveryShirtIsPolitical, co-facilitates FaciltiatingXYZ, was named a “Person We Love” by Yes! Magazine, and is always dreaming up new social good projects. When he’s not on the road, he likes to spend at least a few hours a day bicycling around sunny Austin, TX, where he counts himself lucky to live.